Image Map

Friday, August 23, 2013

Wardrobe Revamp

I think that getting bored with your wardrobe is a pretty common occurrence. There is absolutely no way {or at least I hope not.....} that I'm the only one who fixates on something sparkly, obsesses over it, and then gets bored and looks for something newer and shinier. I swear this is just one of the many curses that females are forced to endure, but don't fret, along with being the fairer of the sexes, we are also the stronger {metaphorically in my case; I can hardly lift my own purse}. Sadly, my attention span when it comes to shiny new things is comparable to that of a teenaged boy {I know, don't judge} so I am constantly on the hunt for the next glamorous thing to bring home with me {my wallet obviously hates me, it's beautiful, but perpetually empty}. If we were all married to Mr. Big, Chuck Bass, or that guy from Maid in Manhattan, than this wouldn't necessarily be an issue. The sad truth is that most of us do not have a net worth comparable to that of Donald Trump {but at least we have better hair, I desperately cling to that fact}. So being as I'm not married to a billionaire, and am still waiting to rake in my own billions {absurdly wishful thinking}, I am constantly looking for new and fun ways to update my wardrobe without spending a ton of money. These are my tips for updating your closet on a budget! 


1. CLEAN - I know that this is not quite what you want to hear, but it's impossible to update your wardrobe when you don't even know what it consists of! At the start of every season, when you're rotating your clothes {if you don't know what I'm talking about than you clearly have FAR more closet space than yours truly, and for that I hate you {kidding....maybe}}. It's so important to be organized so that you know what you have plenty of, and what you could use some more of. I suggest organizing by color and weight. For example: pile all of your sweaters together and within those piles, color coordinate. Do the same for t-shirts, pants, jackets etc. This will give you a really great sense of what you already have to work with in terms of both colors and weights {which if you think about it, are really the two most distinguishing factors when you're deciding what to wear}. Another fun plus: when you're flipping your closet I can almost guarantee that you will find at least one thing that you completely forgot that you had {exciting, I know}. 



2. LAYERING - A great way to refresh and revamp some of your old favorites is to wear them in completely different ways. Layering is the easiest way to accomplish this. Try wearing one of your favorite dresses as a skirt, throwing on a cozy sweater, button down {tie at the waist for shape}, or printed tee. Maybe try wearing a button down under a favorite sweater or top of yours. I love the way a crisp white button down looks underneath a sleek black peplum {a look that I stumbled across by layering  some of my old favorites!} Layering is also great for incorporating new trends into your wardrobe. Tuxedo coloring is a huge look for fall, try experimenting with your blacks and whites to see if you can come up with a fun, unexpected combination that will keep your look fresh! 



3. ADD-ONS - Another favorite trick of mine is to add a scarf to a old handbag, {look here for my take} it gives the bag a completely fresh feel and is a great way to pull together a look.  You can also add pins to basic blouses or older coats {Etsy has some great budget-friendly options}. Another one of my favorite tricks is to add a bow to a collared shirt. Pick up some black ribbon from your local craft store and tie a loose, hanging bow around the collar of your button down. This small trick can make even a plain white button-down interesting and updated. Another trick I sometimes use is to add clip-on earrings to the top of my flats. The clip-ons have the potential to add glamour to an otherwise basic pair of flats! Sometimes all it takes is adding the smallest touches to take a look from dated to trendy. 



4. JEWELRY UPDATE - If you can't easily see all of your jewelry options, it might be time for the proverbial spring cleaning, only this time for your jewelry box! {Look here for my jewelry organization solutions} After everything is nice and organized, take a look through your collection and pick out some of the items that you haven't worn in a long time. If you have excessive amounts of long, beaded necklaces from that questionable trend from the early 2000's {guilty}, rather than toss them or leave them sitting unused, try wearing them as bracelets! You can opt for complete simplicity and just wrap a bunch around your wrist or your can wrap them and tie them with a ribbon bow to really update the look. On the opposite end, if you happen to have any choker length necklaces laying around from the nineties, I happen to know that the length is perfect for a double wrap around your wrist {a little birdie told me...?} I have a fabulous choker length necklace from Tiffany's that I had not worn in probably six or seven years, but have recently started wearing it as a bracelet, and I love it! This is a great way to save your jewelry from collecting dust and to update your look without spending a dime!  



5. DIY - The best way to expand and update your wardrobe on a budget will forever be DIY projects! Try adding patches to the elbows of your old tee's {This site has a great tutorial for heart shaped elbow pads}. Make the craft section of Pinterest your best friend {lets be real, this wont be a problem}. Check out my Pinterest Craft Board for some more great ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment